(Originally published on Teknovation.biz)
By Tom Ballard, Chief Alliance Officer, PYA
It’s always good to see progress being made at start-ups that we have followed since launching teknovation.biz in January 2012, and that was the case at last week’s annual “Opportunities in Energy” forum hosted by the Tennessee Advanced Energy Business Council (TAEBC).
Michael Garrabrant, Chief Executive Officer of Stone Mountain Technologies Inc. (SMTI), told attendees that the 10-year old company now has 16 engineers and technicians on the staff, has produced 30 prototypes, and will have a dozen of its thermal compressors deployed as a key component of gas heat pumps for space, water and pool heating made by the end of the year.
“Everyone likes to come home to a nice warm house and hot shower,” the Johnson City-based Entrepreneur said. SMTI is one of the participants in TAEBC’s “Energy Mentor Network,” a program funded by Launch Tennessee.
Garrabrant says the technology that he has been developing since founding the company in 2008 is relevant for residential and light commercial. The thermal compressors will be manufactured by SMTI but deployed as part of a heat pump or other device produced by an original equipment manufacturer (OEM).
Read more here.
The Tennessee Advanced Energy Business Council invites you to its year-end, annual event “Opportunities in Energy”
Relevant topics to today’s ever-changing energy economy and how Tennessee is becoming a leader in the advanced energy sector fill the agenda including:
Featured Panel: A look inside TVA’s partnership with Innovation Crossroads, Cohort 3 For the first time, TVA is providing funding to support the next cohort of energy entrepreneurs for ORNL’s Innovation Crossroads. How will this partnership shape Cohort 3?
- Amy Henry, Sr. Manager, Enterprise Relations and Strategic Partnership, TVA
- Tom Rogers, Director of Industrial Partnerships and Economic Development, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Sam Shaner, Yellowstone Energy
- Mitchell Ishmael, Active Energy Systems
- Moderated by: Tom Ballard, Chief Alliance Officer, PYA & Editor, Teknovation.biz
EMN Spotlight: Stone Mountain Technologies, Inc. Hear this EMN company’s power pitch on next generation heating technologies, and learn more about their experience in the Energy Mentor Network.
- Michael Garrabrant, CEO, Stone Mountain Technologies, Inc
- Gary Rawlings, Technology Consultant, Oak Ridge National Lab
- Steve Seifried, Account Executive for the Tennessee Region, Ameresco
- Ira Weiss, Principal, Weiss Associates & Entrepreneur-in-Residence, Energy Mentor Network
Protecting our Power
As cybersecurity becomes a growing priority across the country, how is TVA protecting the grid?
- Andrea Brackett, Director of Cybersecurity, Tennessee Valley Authority
TennSMART: Shaping the Future of Intelligent Mobility
Hear about TennSmart’s progress in accelerating the development and deployment of new intelligent mobility innovations in Tennessee.
- Brad Rutherford, Vice President of Sales, Local Motors
- Bob Booker, Senior Manager, Corporate Services Divison, DENSO Manufacturing Tennessee, Inc.
- Ron Espinosa, Regional Director Mid-Atlantic, SoftServe Inc
- Moderated by: Jesse Smith, Manager of Industrial Partnerships and Economic Development, Oak Ridge National Laboratory
TN Advanced Energy Economic Impact Report, 2018 Findings
The numbers are in and Tennessee’s advanced energy sector is continuing to thrive! This panel will discuss TAEBC’s latest economic impact report and what this means for the state.
- Stacey Patterson, Vice President for Research, Outreach and Economic Development at the University of Tennessee
- Denise Ganus, Future Offer Manager, Schneider Electric
- Mary Beth Hudson, Vice President Wacker Polysilicon Division NCA, Site Manager Charleston at Wacker Polysilicon
- Moderated by: Matt Murray, Director, Howard Baker Jr. Center for Public Policy
Energy Mentor Network Showcase
Meet some of our Energy Mentor Network companies as they present their entrepreneurial solutions for our nation’s energy challenges!
- Shane McMahon, Lux Semiconductors
- Justin Nussbaum, Ascend Manufacturing
- Megan O’Connor, Nth Cycle
- Moderated by: Anna Douglas, SkyNano